For warm-weather South Africans, nothing is more exciting than going on a ski holiday for the first time. It’s an altogether new adventure and one that you will never forget. But there’s plenty of preparations to make before you hit the slopes, not the least of which is packing the right gear to keep you cosy, warm and dry.
If you feel somewhat intimidated by the thought of all the snow equipment you’ll need, don’t worry about it. Booking a Club Med ski holiday with Pentravel means you can rent boots, skis, helmets and other ski equipment at the resort. Bonus.
For everything else you need take with you, here’s your ski holiday checklist:
For the slopes
- To keep you dry, pack in a waterproof ski jacket (with inside pockets for your ski pass), waterproof gloves and waterproof pants.
- With all the skiing and snowboarding you’ll be doing, you’ll probably work up quite a sweat under your waterproof clothing. Moisture-wicking undergarments will keep you warm without getting wet.
- Goggles will shield your eyes from glare, wind and snow, and you can buy these at the village where you’re staying. Just make sure they’re an anti-fog pair so that your vision doesn’t steam up.
- Ski socks are essential; cosy and warm, they are also padded in all the right places.
- Sunscreen is non-negotiable. Snow is highly reflective, so you’re exposed to the sun’s rays from above and below and can sunburn quickly.
- Don’t forget to capture the experience. Take some epic action shots with a GoPro or snap a selfie on the ski lift with your phone. Your Instagram feed will thank you.
Top tip: take a buff with you. It’s a versatile accessory that can serve as a scarf or balaclava.
For the resort
- While it may be cold outside, it’s cosy in the resort. Take some clothes to layer up for warmth, or peel off when you get too toasty.
- Check with your Pentravel expert whether there will be any themed entertainment nights at your resort. These fun occasions are not to be missed, and there are often some awesome prizes up for grabs – make sure you pack appropriately.
- Pack your swimsuit. Yes, you read that correctly. Some resorts have pools or jacuzzis, and there’s something special about relaxing in the warm bubbles of a jacuzzi or doing a few laps in a heated pool while it’s snowing outside.
- Don’t forget a pair of comfortable shoes that can withstand walking in shallow snow throughout the ski village. Waterproof is a good idea.
Last but not least, don’t forget to bring your spirit of adventure. Check out our Club Med ski deals now and contact us to book the snow adventure you’ve been dreaming about.