Zanzibar holidays are where sensory pleasures and mystical romance collide. Lying off the coast of Tanzania, the Spice Island has three distinct influences: Africa, the Middle East and Asia have each found a home here in Zanzibar’s melting pot culture.
Luxury-seekers, adventurers and solo nomads have long been seduced by Zanzibar’s charms. The island’s beaches offer a castaway escape for romantics, whose perfect day is bookended by a beachside cocktail or sunset dhow cruise. Action-addicts on a Zanzibar holiday will want to dive Mnemba Reef, catch the breeze kitesurfing, or claim the perfect catch deep-sea fishing. Foodies will savour Zanzibar’s local markets and spice farms, while history junkies will get their fix wandering the cobbled streets of Stone Town.
Here are our top things to do in Zanzibar to experience the best of the Spice Island:
- Discover Stone Town’s history and culture on a walking tour.
- Explore the Spice Gardens, Zanzibar’s namesake at a traditional spice plantation.
- View the endangered red colobus monkey up close at Jozani Forest.
- Dive over 25 different underwater sites sporting diverse reefs and marine life, including turtles and dolphins at Mnemba Reef.
- Shallow seas and high winds make Paje Beach perfect for kitesurfing.
- Be swept away by Zanzibar’s romance on a sunset dhow cruise.
- Claim the perfect catch when you go deep-sea fishing in Zanzibar.
- Perfect the art of doing nothing while lazing on Nungwi Beach.
- Go snorkelling at Tumbatu, just off the coast of the main island.
Easily-accessible but fittingly far-flung, a Zanzibar holiday from South Africa will leave you with memories of lazy beach days, vivid explorations of the island’s undersea treasures, and the lingering flavours of a fascinating blended culture.