Level 1 – International Travel is here!
International travel officially came into effect in South Africa on 1 October 2020, but there are still several restrictions and regulations in place. If you’re planning your next beach break, Guided Holiday, cruise or a visit to family & friends overseas, then here is all you need to know about level 1 lockdown international travel.
- Travellers will only be able to use one of the land border posts that have remained open during lockdown – especially if you’re self-driving regionally to one of our neighbouring countries.
- Travellers will only be able to fly out from one of the three main airports: King Shaka International, Cape Town International and OR Tambo International.
If you’re returning by either air or land, or if you have a family member or friend arriving in the country, the following applies:
- Travellers will need to present a negative PCR Covid-19 test result not older than 72 hours from time of departure.
- If a traveller arrives in South Africa without a valid PCR test they will be tested at their own cost. A Positive test will result in them being placed in quarantine at their own cost. A negative test result allows them to continue through the port of entry
- All travellers must complete an Entry Health Screen Form either prior to or on arrival in South Africa.
- Make sure you are always wearing your mask within the airport or port of entry, and that you practice responsible social distancing.
The current list of high-risk countries is being updated every 2 weeks based on updated information, and it’s important to note that only leisure travellers from these high-risk countries are not allowed to travel to South Africa. Please check the government list for the most up to date red-listed countries.
At Pentravel, we’re always looking for ways to easily provide you with the travel tips you require. We’ve teamed up with Sherpa to help anticipate and answer any travel related questions you might have. Check out our dedicated Travel Restrictions & Travel Tips online tool to get up-to-date and accurate information as well as speaking to any of our experts. With every country having different regulations in place, let us do the homework for you, so you can travel with peace of mind.
We can’t wait to explore more, see more and experience more! If you’re wanting to plan your end of year trip or are thinking about 2021 international travel, get in touch with us!